Thursday, November 8, 2012

Funny Fishing

































































Welcome back to To The Importance of Fishing. Our last installment was about answering some important questions, but this post we are gonna have a little fun.




Sometimes fishing can be boring, and I know first hand how that feels with my vast fishing experience. However, the one the that always brings me back to fishing is that unknown of never knowing exactly what you might catch or what might happen. Remember, you are out in nature, and nature is unpredictable.

One funny story that I remember from fishing happened on a large charter fishing boat. This boat was huge and easily had twenty to thirty people fishing from the sides of it. I have no dislike for rookie fisherman, but I can easily spot one. Such was the case with Fisherman Doe that I was casually observing a few people down from me. He suddenly yelled out and began furiously working the bent over fishing rod he was holding. After a few moments watching I knew something was not right about the behavior of his fish. Eventually one of the boat hands made his way over to the man and began trying to help him with his obviously massive catch. It wasn't long however before he to saw what I had seen. He instructed the man to hand over the fishing pole. The man refused because if it was a record fish he would not be able to claim it if he passed the rod off. The boat hand informed him that no matter what it was he was not going to catch it if he did not hand him the rod. Finally the man complied and gave him the rod, which the boat hand gave a massive yank and then handed back to him. The rod was still slightly bent over with something on, so the boat hand told him to continue trying to reel in his catch. When all was done and he got it to the surface he had literally caught a rock. He had managed to hook himself on the reef and mistook it as a fish. We all shared a laugh as the exhausted man proudly displayed his catch for all to see. I have to admit that it was a pretty rock. The man wanted to keep it as a souvenir, but it is illegal to remove and keep coral. After that I didn't see him fishing anymore that day.

The reason I chose this story is to point out an important fact for anyone who wants to go deep sea fishing in the future. When the experts on the boat tell you not to fish on the bottom, it might be wise to listen. You want to fish near the bottom sometimes, but if you fish directly on the bottom you will only catch rocks even if a fish does bite your hook.

In my next post we will take a detailed look at some of the equipment and the preferred fish to target with this gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment